A locked door is always the best way to keep your house, room, apartment, or office safe. However, this becomes a big problem when, due to life circumstances, you forget the key inside or lose it on the road.
Have you ever wondered what methods locksmiths use to open a lock with ease, without practically noticing? These are the most common techniques. Some may surprise you.
#1 Opening the door with a Credit Card (if the lock allows it)
If you are in a hurry to enter your house, you sometimes lost the key, and the door is locked. One of the best ways you can try opening a door is with a credit card (or any plastic object that looks like it).
To do this, you must keep in mind that the recommended lock to open with this technique is the pear or round knob lock. It is usually working for the doors with a simple security mechanism. Here’s how:
- Insert the card between the space of the door frame and the door, more or less removed from the lock.
- Start sliding the card smoothly; apply pressure on it until you reach the lock.
- When you run into the lock, you must apply more pressure, so that the slip (moving metal part that is responsible for keeping the door closed) goes back to the card.
- With the card, lever towards the knob. This way, the knob will be able to go back, and with a push, you can open the door.
#2 Disassemble the lock from outside
This technique is also suitable for the round knob. To carry out this process, you must have an excellent knife, razor, or flat screwdriver on your hand. Here’s how:
- This type of knob is characterized by having a round metal plate that covers the cylinder and connects with the wood of the door.
- You will have to remove it or take it off the door, then turning it to the left side.
- Then, you will see a small part of the inside of the lock.
- You must insert the knife, razor, or screwdriver inside where there is a small piece of horizontal metal (the safety lock), which you must push to deactivate it and release the lock.
- Now, place the part of the sheet again, turning this time on the opposite side. Finally, open the door quietly because it will open for you.
#3 Use clips in case the door is locked
The technique of clips or homemade picks is widely used for almost any lock. Although, it works perfectly with the old padlocks.
For this, you will need two clips. One must be L-shaped, and the other must be straight and long with bent up tip. To open a lock with this technique, you will need some practice. Therefore, if you have an old bolt to practice it, it will be perfect for you to familiarize yourself with the tools. Here’s how:
- Insert the L-shaped clip into the bottom of the lock. You have to make sure it is the shortest part of the clip.
- With the long clip, you must insert it all the way in and giving it upward movement with the tip to push the pins of the lock.
- When you feel that they are up, carefully try to rotate the L-shaped clip.
- After this, the door should open without problems.
Remember that this technique is very similar to what is done by professional locksmiths. It only requires patience and a lot of practice.
#4 Bumping key
Bumping keys are a type of key that allows you to open any lock that gets in the way.
- A bumping key is a perfect solution since these work like master keys. This is because it has the teeth aligned to unlock the lock.
- To open a locked door, you will need a bumping key that has the same size as the original key. It can enter through the hole in the lock with the help of a rubber hammer.
- This way, the needles of the lock will align inside, allowing the key to turn and then open the door quickly.
The bumping key can be built by yourself. You can also get some essential bumping key kits in online stores. The best thing is that they are much cheaper than a locksmith and open many doors.
Finally, a professional locksmith knows better and has more practical experience. Therefore, if you want to make sure that the effort doesn’t break the door, you can contact us for the best professional work.